Aprendiz Espadin is the perfect all-around cocktail mezcal, easy on the palate with a hint of sweet smoke, herbal notes, and a deep roasted agave finish. Produced by Isaías Martínez and his family, this hand-crafted spirit is distilled from 100% agave Angustifolia in San Juan del Rio, Oaxaca. Full-bodied and smooth, Aprendiz is ideal for those looking to embark on a mystical mezcal journey or design a creative cocktail.
In 2003, the Pescador de Sueños found himself confronted by an imposing Espadín growing in the supreme conditions of San Juan del Río, a semi-dry, seasonally dry forest nearly 4,000 feet above sea level. Throughout this dream-like encounter, the Pescador bonded with Isaías and his family who have been producing traditional mezcal for over three generations and who respect the gusto historico (socio-historical taste), the land, and the culture.
- Batch: AP-04
- Vintage: 2019
- Category: Mezcal Artesanal
- Maguey: Espadin
- Agave: Angustifolia
- Production volume: ~1,050 liters (1409 bottles)
- Master distiller: Isaías Martínez
- Producing community: San Juan del Río, Oaxaca, Mexico, nearly 4,000 ft. elevation
- ABV: 40%
- Climate/Ecosystem: Semi-dry / Seasonally Dry Forest
- Cooking: Roasted in an earthen pit
- Grinding: Tahona mill, mule drawn stone
- Fermentation: Natural, spring water and wild yeasts
- Distillation: twice distilled in copper alembic stills